TOWN OF IRON RIVER
REGULAR TOWN BOARD MEETING
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2022
AT THE COMMUNITY CENTER
These minutes represent the general subject matter discussed in this meeting but do not
reflect a verbatim documentation of the subjects and conversation that took place.
1. Chairman David Ciembronowicz called the Regular Town Board Meeting to order at 6
P.M. Present were Supervisor Rich Nemitz, John Sleeman, Roric Gilmer and
Clerk/Treasurer Helen G Hyde. Clerk testified the meeting was properly posted.
2. A motion by Rich Nemitz, seconded by John Sleeman to approve the Agenda, Motion
3. A motion by Roric Gilmer, seconded by John Sleeman to approve the Minutes of the
Regular Town Board Meeting September 8, 2022. Motion Carried.
4. A motion by Rich Nemitz, seconded by John Sleeman to approve the Financial Report.
5. Citizens Comments. Kristen Gilmer, president of the PTO is asking for flooding of the ice
rink, will ask to be on the November Agenda. Peg Lavin asking about snow removal for
the sidewalks is concerned about the ones in front of her home.
6. A motion by Rich Nemitz, second by John Sleemsn to recommend approval for Anette
Clemmers, William & James Costello t 7845 Summit Street for a short term rental, with
the stipulation there will be no parking on the street just in the driveway. Motion
7. A motion by Roric Gilmer, seconded by John Sleeman for recommended approval to
Mark Anderson at 10215 County Highway H to replace an existing black toped driveway.
8. A motion by John Sleemsn, seconded by Rich Nemitz to approve Trick or Treating in Iron
River for Monday, November 31, 2022 from 5PM -7PM. Motion carried.
9. A motion by John Sleeman, seconded by Roric Gilmer to approve the request from
Bayfield County to facilitate the placement of several collection dumpsters throughout
the county, including Iron River this fall during hunting season to collect deer carcass
waste to prevent CWD in Bayfield and surrounding counties. Motion Carried.
10. A motion by Rich Nemitz, seconded by John Sleeman to table the request from the Lions
Club to discuss solutions for bathrooms at the playground by the Community Center.
Motion carried, until more information can be gathered.
11. A motion by John Sleeman, seconded by Rich Nemitz to table the request from North
Lakes Clinic to help them in removing and grading down the alley way to be able to pave
the parking lot and alleyway to help with water flow, lesson gravel into the highway and
onto the sidewalks. Town Board is requesting more information from Clinic before
decisions will be made. Motion carried.
12. Discussion on Iron River Dam. The work that needs to be done to fix the Dam can wait
until spring, there will be bids solicited on the work that needs to be completed. The
Dam is in fair to good condition with no concerns for failure, which was done by the
13. Update on Police hiring process. The application dead line is November 31, 2022, and
then the Police and Fire Commission will be conducting interviews.
14. Update on Fire/EMS/ Hwy building roof. The job has been completed and now has a
rating of R12. Addition work to building will be started soon.
15. A motion by John Sleeman, seconded by Roric Gilmer to make a tentative approval with
future stipulations for recommending a request from Bayfield County to open all county
highways to ATV/UTV traffic. More discussion will be in the future. Motion carried.
16. Update on the Mitchell building. Nate Johnson has started repairs and is making
progress, building appears to be solid, The Board is asking for regular updates from Mr.
Johnson in the future.
17. A motion by Rich Nemitz, seconded by John Sleeman to table the request from the
Library to purchase the Callahan property until more information can be obtained.
18. Update on Ambulance sale. There needs to be more details about the Ambulance so it
can be on the website to sell. Someone from the Ambulance department was to look
into this matter and get details to move forward.
19. Update on custodian position for the Community Center, 3 applications have been
turned into the Clerk’s office, interviews will start next week.
20. A motion by Roric Gilmer, seconded by rich Nemitz to move money from the major
construction line item to the gravel item in the amount of $12,000.00. Motion carried.
21. The Town Board thanks the Garden Gals for the beautiful flowers and plants they
planted, hung and took care of the whole summer, good job.
22. Heads of Department present were: Jackie Pooler-Library, John Darwin-Fire, Andy Jatzo-
Highway, Sam Gilbert-Ambulance, Bill Voss- Police
23. A motion by Rich Nemitz, seconded by John Sleeman to adjourn at 7:30 P.M. Motion
Helen G Hyde